Latin Funk (Remember To Tip!!)

I’m into funk music in a big way. I like some Jazz too, having spent many a Saturday night in Manchester’s Matt & Phreds sipping whiskey and listening to some real talent. I heard New York had a great music scene so I thought I’d go check out what the city had to offer.

First mission, escape Central Manhattan. Times Square is definitely a spectacle with its massive billboards and shops. At night time, it’s fantastic to look at. However, walking through it is a nightmare and it reminds me of London’s Oxford Street, which is the fore-runner for my least favourite place on the planet.

I found a club called Nublu on Avenue C which was perfect. You’d never even know it was there unless you knew what you were looking for but once you go through the front door , the interior is dark, stylish, covered in graffiti and they have a great bar. On the subject of bars, I’m still getting the hang of when exactly to tip people in America. I was politely told off by the barmaid after not tipping her after my second drink. She explained that she doesn’t get any money for running the bar, she survives solely on tips! I tipped her for my two drinks sheepishly. For future reference, it’s $1 for every drink you’re served. I think on a busy night, it must pay a lot better than what our bar staff get in the UK, she must have raked it in last night. Do I tip them in Starbucks?

Anyway, back to music. I saw a guy who calls himself Curumin and his band. They were fantastic. Brazilian Jazz, Funk & Salsa is quite difficult to play on the drums. Curumin, however, was drumming it all perfectly and singing it as well! A very talented guy indeed. He had the entire room dancing by his third song. I’ll definitely be buying his album when I get back to the UK. I’ve embedded a link to his MySpace page (go! go! go!) so if you want to listen to his stuff, my favourite track is “cidade des homens”. If you can’t bothered to go there, his music sounds a little like old school Ozomatli without Tunafish.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home