The Empire State Building

There is no Adam only Zool! I went up the Empire State building last night and that’s what I kept thinking to myself. If you’ve ever been up there, doesn’t it look like the building from Ghostbusters??

Anyway, I decided to go down at 10pm on a Thursday night to beat the ques, as the building and its observation platforms are open until after midnight. To my astonishment when I arrived, there was not only a large que, but it stretched out of the door of the building and almost right round the corner! It wasn’t a huge issue for me though, and the line moved pretty fast and, before I knew it, I was inside one of the most famous buildings in the world.

The main entrance hall is very impressive. I did take a photo of it but I have found a better picture on the internet so I’ll add that one to this blog (better meaning straight, not blurred and it hasn’t got half a Japanese tourist standing in the frame). Typically, the time i got to go and see it, most of the building was under construction and an awful lot of the rooms I passed through were in various stages of being painted, renovated or rewired. Nevertheless, i did get to see some very fantastic art deco. The light fixtures, the elevators, the escalators... loads of little things I recognised from movies and comics I’ve been reading all my life. It wasn’t just Ghostbusters I started thinking about, I started imagining the daily planet and Clark Kent stopping lifts from falling down the shafts or Peter Parker standing in one of the offices presenting Jameson with his latest photos of Spiderman. All of these scenes seemed to happen in a backdrop similar to the one I was walking through. I had alot of time to think about all of this, as it took me almost an hour and a half to get to the top. (click the images to make them larger)

Once at the top, the view was spectacular. You can see for miles! I managed to get outside and take a few snaps, my photography skills let me down again though. Here is the best one of the bunch.

0 comments:

Newer Post Older Post Home